To me, a woman is most beautiful when she feels confident in her own skin. Whenever I allow myself to get lost in a self-care moment, I nurture the love I have for myself. Instead of separating myself from my “flaws”, I find myself becoming one with every scar, blemish, or stretch mark. Our bodies deserve the same amount of care and attention as the skin on our faces for emotional and physical benefits.
Body scrubs are a great treatment to incorporate into your weekly skincare rituals. They help slough away dead skin, and leave your body feeling soft, smooth, and hydrated — this makes scrubs the perfect treatment for razor bumps, ingrown hairs, dry patchy skin, or dull skin with discoloration issues. Additionally, massaging your skin with a scrub will leave you feeling relaxed and calm. I try to indulge in a body scrub at least twice a week.
- When applying, make sure to scrub in circular motions as this increases blood circulation and helps drain lymph nodes.
- Cleanse the skin before applying a body scrub.
- Leave the scrub on your skin for 5-10 minutes before rinsing off. This allows the moisture to really soften all the layers of your skin.
- If you have sensitive or dry skin, try a sugar scrub as they are more gentle and great for hydration. As a natural source of glycolic acid (an AHA), sugar breaks down layers of dead skin while smoothing the skin’s surface.
- For areas with tougher skin including the heels of your feet, elbows, or knees, try a salt scrub. Salt has detoxifying properties that draw out pore-clogging toxins and relieve congestion.
Here’s a list of my favorite body scrubs: