The first step to healthy skin is knowing how to layer your products. It’s important to properly layer your products to make sure the ingredients are working effectively. Layering a serum over a thick moisturizer will sit on top of the heavier product rather than properly soaking into the skin. For this reason, water based products should be applied before oil based products.
Order of products after cleansing the skin:
- Essences: these lightweight products are used to hydrate and prep the skin so that the following products absorb better. Apply the essence into the palms of your hands and press gently into the skin. Use pressing motions rather than dragging motions to avoid pulling the skin.
- Serums: serums are great for treating specific skincare needs. For example, a vitamin-c based serum works to brighten complexion and treat discoloration like hyperpigmentation or dark spots. Apply your serum after using an essence and before moisturizer. For most serums, you can apply by using your palms or fingertips and pat in upwards motions to the face and neck. Allow the serum to fully absorb into the skin, about 5 minutes.
- Moisturizer: Follow with moisturizer. Use upward motions to apply here. This helps the skin better absorb the product while increasing blood circulation for more elasticity.
- Oils: When using a facial oil, apply this after you moisturize. Oil repels water and is impermeable, meaning fluid can’t pass through it – moisturizer or cream will not effectively soak into the skin if you apply after oil.
- SPF: This should be the final step in your skincare routine. Applying after oil is fine because sunscreen sits on the skins surface to protect the skin and doesn’t absorb into the bloodstream. It can also be reapplied throughout the day.
- Generally, begin with products that have the thinnest or most watery consistency and end with heavier, more moisturizing products.
- Wait for each product to fully absorb into the skin before moving onto the next product.